Before you start using the accounting link, you need to set up MYOB Desktop to recognise your simPRO build, and make sure your simPRO data matches your MYOB data so that your transactions post correctly.
If you intend to create invoices in MYOB Desktop, we recommend that you discuss this with your implementation consultant or simPRO Support to minimise issues with linking.
To download the accounting link for MYOB Desktop, contact simPRO Support. If you are interfacing with MYOB Desktop for the first time, you need to register your company file for ODBC with MYOB.
Before using the accounting link, set up your simPRO data to match your MYOB Desktop data to ensure data from simPRO posts correctly in MYOB Desktop.
Confirm with your accountant which accounts need to be used.
Go to System > Defaults > Financial to ensure that your accounts in simPRO match your accounts in MYOB Desktop. These accounts include:
- Income Account
- Deposit Account
- Expense Account
- Finance Charge Account
- Restocking Fee Account
- Retention Asset Account (if using retention)
- Retention Liability Account (if using retention)
- Inventory Account (if using Inventory Tracking)
- Inventory Adjustment Account (if using Inventory Tracking)
- STCs Account (must be enabled in the Extensions tab)
- VEECS Account (must be enabled in the Extensions tab)
The Freight Account is ignored in favour of your MYOB Purchase Freight account. To learn more, see Set up freight in MYOB
To learn more about financial defaults, see Financial Defaults.
Go to System > System Setup > Accounts > Cost Centres to ensure the Income Account No. and Expense Account No. for each cost centre match your accounts in MYOB Desktop.
Additionally, ensure the selected account is the correct type of account.
To learn more about cost centres, see Cost Centres.
In MYOB Desktop, header accounts are displayed in bold. Make sure that you have not entered any header accounts in simPRO, as these are not actual accounts but group totals.
Ensure your simPRO tax codes match your MYOB tax codes. This is important for entering transactions in MYOB Desktop, because if a tax code has not been specified, MYOB treats the transaction as tax-free.
To learn more about tax codes, see Tax Codes.
Go to System > System Setup > Accounts > Payment Methods and ensure that the Account No. for each payment method matches the applicable MYOB account.
To learn more about payment methods, see Payment Methods.
In simPRO, open an employee card file and go to Details > Profile to view the employee ID number. Make sure that your Card ID numbers in MYOB Desktop match your employee ID numbers in simPRO. If you use the initial import, your MYOB Card ID numbers overwrite your simPRO ID numbers. Learn more in Initial Import.
To learn more about employees, see Create Employees.
When you use the accounting link for the first time:
- In the first screen, select the simPRO Edition that you use.
- Enter the host name or IP address of your simPRO installation. If you have simPRO open, copy and paste the URL into the field.
- Enter your simPRO username and password.
- Locate your MYOB company file.
- Locate your MYOB executable. If you are unsure where this file is or what file this is please contact simPRO Support for assistance.
- Enter your username and password for your MYOB company.
If your MYOB company file is located on a network, the accounting link may process records slower than if the file is located locally.
Date formats that are sent into MYOB are dependent on your system regional settings. For example, North America uses Month/Day/Year.
To adjust your accounting link settings:
- Click the Setup tab.
- Under To Export on the right, select the types of transactions that you send through the accounting link
- Select the applicable check box/es if you are using simPRO Tracking to Job Tracking, simPRO to MYOB Category Tracking, or Inventory Tracking.
- Select if you are using Multiple Currencies.
- By default, the accounting link does not update a field in MYOB if the corresponding field in simPRO is blank. This means you can have information in MYOB that is not overridden by simPRO every time you use the accounting link. To have blank fields in simPRO update fields in MYOB, clear the Skip Blank Fields check box.
- To import card files as individuals, select Individual Designations. If import card files as companies, clear the check box.
- For suppliers, contractors and employees, simPRO has only one field for names. To ensure that this is correctly sent to MYOB, format names in the order of 'last name, first name'.
- Click Save Settings.
To set up MYOB to accept freight on purchase orders from simPRO:
- Go to Setup > Linked Accounts > Purchase Accounts.
- Select I Pay Freight on Purchases and choose the account.
If you have a multi-company build, you can switch between companies using the drop-down list in the Main tab. Each company has its own accounting link settings.
To learn more about multi-company in simPRO, seeMulti-Company.
If you have multiple simPRO builds, you can use the same accounting link for all of them. This is different from multi-company, as each build has a different URL.
To set up multiple simPRO builds in the accounting link:
- Go to Setup > Manage simPRO Builds.
- To add another build, click Add simPRO Host.
- Enter the build details.
- Click Test Connection to check the accounting link can connect to the build. If successful, a tick appears in the Test Passed column.
You can remove all additional builds, but not the original build.
If you use multiple currencies, you need to enable this in both simPRO and MYOB. To learn more about multiple currencies in simPRO, see Currencies.
To enable multi-currency in MYOB:
- Go to Setup > Preferences > I Deal in Multiple Currencies [System-wide]’ > Lists > Currencies.
- Each currency needs to have a currency linking account, and then for each currency there is a separate account that links to the account with the base currency. You should seek the advice of your accountant to help set this up.
- Make sure that your list of currencies matches your list of currencies in simPRO. The codes must be exact.
- For each currency in MYOB, allocate the correct accounts to the Receivable and Payable accounts tabs.
- Specifically, allocate the asset account for Tracking Receivables in the Currency.
- You do not need to make any changes to the accounts that were entered into simPRO - MYOB handles the conversion and allocation to the correct linked accounts.
Make sure that your version of MYOB supports multiple currencies.