All our learning resources are running on the latest menu navigation.
Last Updated: July 30 2020
To start a new project, create a new project quote and then convert it to a job after the quote is accepted. If you are creating a quote to send to multiple recipients, you can also Add additional customers.
Add a description and notes, adjust project settings, and upload any relevant attachments before you add sections and cost centres.
You can also use memberships to automatically apply a discount to all quotes created against a customer within a specified duration, boosting customer loyalty and revenue. Learn more in About Memberships.
To learn how to create service quotes for 'do and charge' jobs, see How to Create a Service Quote.
Follow the instructions below to create a new project quote.
- Go to Quotes > Create New Project Quote.
- Search and select the Customer.
- Alternatively, click Create New and enter the details to add a new customer.
- If the customer has an active membership, it appears in the header. Learn more in How to Use Memberships in Workflows.
- Selecting an existing customer may display a warning message if the customer has invoices that are over 90 days outstanding. Click View Statement in the warning message box to open the customer statement and email it, if required. Learn more in View and email the customer statement.
- Search and select the Site.
- Select any customer contacts.
- The Site Contact is automatically completed based on the site, but you can clear the contact to select an alternative.
- Click All to select contacts from all customers, sites and suppliers. Note that if you use a contact from a different customer, site or supplier, it is not linked to the site or customer used on the quote.
- Enter an Order Number and Quote Name, if required.
- Select a Project Manager / Salesperson to assign to the project.
- You need to mark employees as Salesperson / Project Manager in their card files to select them.
- If the customer has a response time assigned to their customer card, the Response Time field replaces the Due Date field when creating the quote. To set a due date, click Next and go to the Quote Settings tab.
- If the employee creating the job is marked as a Salesperson / Project Manager they are automatically selected as the Salesperson / Project Manager. If not, the customer’s selected account manager is assigned as the Salesperson / Project Manager provided they are marked appropriately in their employee card files.
- Select Tags to categorise the project for reporting.
- To adjust the default rates on the project, click the Optional tab.
- The Leave as default rate check box is selected by default. Clear the check box to manually adjust the rates.
- If required, click the Custom tab and complete any custom fields.
- Click Next.
You can then start building the structure of your project quote with sections and cost centres. Learn more in How to Structure Your Project.
If you are creating a tender to send to multiple potential customers, you can add additional customers as recipients.
To add additional customers:
- Go to Details > Additional Customers in the quote.
- Search and select customers using the search bar.
- If a customer does not exist, click Create New and enter their details.
- Each customer is added as a new row in the table. Make sure that the correct Contact and Additional Contacts are selected.
- Under Site, select the job site.
- By default, the primary Site and Site Contact for the selected quote is populated in the respective fields for this additional customer. Update the site details, if required.
- When you are finished adding customers, click Save.
To remove additional customers, click the icon.
Enter description and notes
You can enter a description and notes both for the whole project, as well as for each individual cost centre within the project.
To enter a description and notes:
- Go to Details > Info in the individual cost centre or at the Cost Centre List level of the quote.
- Enter your Description.
- You can select from the drop-down list to insert and edit a pre-written script. Learn more in How to Use Scripts.
- Enter Notes. These notes only display in simPRO, Connect and on quote cards, and are for internal use only.
- Click Save.
Go to Details > Logs to view a history of actions in that quote, along with the logged-in employee who performed them and the date and time.
Actions logged in the Message column of the log can include:
- Quote creation and modifications
- Status and stage updates
- Schedule updates
- Information submitted from Connect
- Printing and emailing forms
- Quote conversion.
When you email from within the quote in the Forms tab and click Save, a log entry is created with a icon. When you hover over the icon, the email text appears.
When you click the icon, a pop-up containing the email text appears. If you emailed a quote form, it is available to view as a PDF under Attachments.
You can update project settings, including the due date, salesperson, manager, stage, and more, in the Settings sub-tab.
To adjust project settings:
- Go to Details > Settings in the quote.
- Under Options:
- To send the quote details in an SMS message, click SMS Quote.
- To create a copy of the quote, click Copy Quote.
- To return to the Quote Setup page and change details such as the customer, site, and default rates, click Quote Setup. You can also remove and re-apply the customer's membership discount. Learn more in How to Use Memberships in Workflows.
- If required, update the Quote Name or Order No..
- Select the Created date and Due Date.
- Under Validity, enter the number of days that the quote is valid for after the Created date.
- If required, select a Salesperson / Project Manager / Technician to assign to this quote.
- Select the quote's Stage.
- You can manually update the quote Status. Alternatively, make sure the Auto Adjust check box is selected, and the status updates according to your automatic triggers. Learn more in Status Codes and Automatic Triggers.
- Select any relevant project Tags.
- Complete any project Custom Fields. Learn more in How to Use Custom Fields.
- Adjust your retention settings. Learn more in How to Set Up Retention.
- Click Save to update your changes.
You can set the completion progress for a cost centre in the cost centre settings for quotes and jobs. Additionally, the Start Date and End Date recorded on a project quote or job cost centre can be automatically updated based on the Start Date and End Date specified on the tasks assigned to the cost centre.
- Open the required quote or job.
- Access the Cost Centre List and open the required cost centre.
- Go to Settings.
- Enter the percentage completed in the Progress field.
- The cost centre Progress field is not impacted by the Progress field available for tasks.
- Select the Auto adjust based on tasks check box.
- All new project quotes and jobs have this option selected by default.
- This feature is only available for quotes and jobs that have multiple cost centres.
- Click Save.
All correspondence about the quote is sent from the Forms tab. To learn how to send a quote using a form builder template, see How to Send Form Builder Templates. You can also send quote acceptance forms for customers to accept online. Learn more in How to Use Quote Acceptance Forms.
To send a quote form:
- Go to Details > Forms.
- Select the Form type depending on the amount of detail you need to provide to the customer.
- Under Email, use the toggle switch to send an email excluding the default quote as an attachment, if required.
- From the Templates list, select a quote template, as applicable.
- The templates marked as DOCX are editable version of forms. You can re-upload the forms to simPRO after updates. Learn more in Edit and send a DOCX form.
- The templates marked as PDF are the non-editable versions of the quotes ready for emailing to the customers.
- Click View to preview and / or print the form.
- If the form is DOCX format this downloads the form that you can open and edit it in a word processor.
- If you finish out of the quote, any changed made to the template are saved as a separate revision.
- In the To field, select a Primary Contact to address the form to and click in the field to add additional Contacts, if required.
- Alternatively, you can manually enter email addresses and separate them with a comma. To remove recipients, click Clear Recipients.
- Click Attach to save a copy of the selected quote as a PDF and make it available under Select Attachments.
- Any attached template is also available in the Attachments tab of the quote.
- On the Attachments tab, select the manually uploaded files to make them available under Select Attachments. Choose all the required files and templates / forms from Select Attachments and send to your customers at once.
- All attached files have a time and date stamp for future reference.
- Adjust the default Subject and Body, if required.
Alternatively, click Clear Email to enter a new Subject and Body, or select a script from the Insert Script drop-down. Learn more in How to Use Scripts.
- Click Send > OK to confirm.
A pop-up may then appear confirming the email address you have just sent the form to. Click OK to return to the quote, then click Attach to attach a copy of the sent form to the quote for your records. DOCX forms can only be attached in the Attachments tab.
After you save the project, a log entry is created in Details > Log, where you can view the email text and any form attachments.
With a DOCX form, you can edit the form in a word processor and then attach the updated form to the quote.
To edit and send a form:
- Go to the Forms tab.
- Select a DOCX form from the Template drop-down list.
- Click View. A new tab opens while the document is downloading, which you can close when the download is finished.
- Open the document in a word processor and make changes as necessary.
- Save the updated document, and make note of the file name if you have updated it.
- In simPRO, go to the Attachments tab in the quote.
- Click Browse, and open the updated document.
- Select the Email check box next to the uploaded document.
- Go to the Forms tab. Make sure the correct document is selected under Select Attachments. Any attachments selected here are sent in the email.
- Next to Send without form, select ON. This ensures that only selected attachments are sent in the email.
- Review your email details.
- Click Send > OK.
In the Tasks sub-tab, you can create tasks for the project. You can also go to the Tasks sub-tab within a cost centre to create tasks for that particular cost centre. Learn more in Create a task from within a quote, job, or customer card file.
In Details > Attachments, you can upload important documents and keep them for reference. Learn more in How to Use Attachments.