Learn about the latest improvements to the Help Guide in our Release Notes.
Last Updated: September 25 2020
In BI Reporting, a dashboard is a collection of saved questions. To extract the same set of information from your database periodically, you can create and save different dashboards. Grouping questions that focus on a similar topic, for examples customers, jobs, or stock, form the basis of meaningful dashboards.
You can create multiple dashboards, edit them as per your project requirements and save them in a specific collection under Our Data or My personal collection. To view a list of all saved dashboards, go to BI Reporting > Browse all items and access the required collection.
In order to view content or perform actions referred to in this article you need to have the appropriate permissions enabled in your security group. Go to System > Setup > Security Groups and access your security group to update your permissions. The relevant security group tab and specific permissions for this article can be found here:
To make a dashboard relevant for future use, you should plan what you want the dashboard to explain about your data. After you classify the types of questions your dashboard should answer, create and save those individual questions from the question builder. Next, add your saved questions to your dashboard and arrange them in a way that makes it easy to review and understand. Learn more about question builder in How to Create Questions.
To create a new dashboard:
- Go to BI Reporting and click > New dashboard.
- Alternatively, open the required question and click to Add to new dashboard.
- In the Create dashboard pop-up, enter a relevant NAME and DESCRIPTION for the new dashboard. And, specify the collection to which it should be added.
- Click Create. This creates and displays the new dashboard page.
- For the given example, the Scheduling Dashboard page is displayed.
- You can access the list of dashboards in the Our Data collection to view this new dashboard.
- On the selected dashboard page, click to Add a question.
- Navigate to and click the required collection. Select a question from the list. This creates a question card on the dashboard.
- For the given example, the Busiest time of the year question is selected.
- Similarly add multiple question cards to the new dashboard.
- Modify the dashboard view, as required and click Save. Learn more in Manage dashboards.
To access all dashboards created by different users in BI Reporting, Browse all items and access the Our Data collection. This is a common collection accessible to all users logged in to the same simPRO build. Alternatively, open the My personal collection to view dashboards accessible only to the logged-in user.
On the DASHBOARDS tab, click besides a dashboard name and use the icon, to pin the selected dashboard on the collections page for easy access.
To begin editing a dashboard:
- Access the DASHBOARDS tab in the collection and click the required dashboard. Alternatively, if you have it pinned on the collections page, click the dashboard pin.
- To continue with the given example, the Scheduling Dashboard is selected.
- Click the to begin editing the selected dashboard.
- Click and drag to adjust the position and size of your question card, as required.
- To update and customise a question, click on the question card.
- To remove the card from the dashboard, click on the card.
- To add multiple relevant questions to the selected question, click on the card. This displays answers to all the selected questions in a single visualisation.
Additional dashboard customisation options are detailed in the table below:
If you intend to display your dashboard over an extended period of time, click to set the dashboard to auto-refresh. Although the BI Reporting data pulled from simPRO is up to 24 hours old, setting your dashboard to refresh prevents BI Reporting from timing out.
|Enter fullscreen||Click to view the dashboard in a full screen mode. Use this feature to display your dashboard on a larger screen to your team or during presentations.|
|Night mode and Day mode||Click when you are in full screen mode to switch the dashboard into night mode for higher contrast. Similarly, click the Daytime mode icon switch back to the day mode.|
|Add a filter||
Click to create filters. After you save your edits, you can apply these filters to the question cards displayed on the dashboard. Use this feature to view a customised version of data displayed on the dashboard.
For example, click > Time > Quarter and Year. Next, from the Select drop-down in the centre of the card, select Date and click Done.
|Add a text box||
Click to add a text box to the dashboard. Use this to help identify the content or add disclaimers to the dashboard.
For example, you can enter text such as Data is based off backups taken at EOD.
|Revision history||Click to view a detailed history of revisions on the dashboard. You can view the time of edit, user, and type of edit performed on the selected dashboard. Click Revert to retrieve any version of the dashboard required.|