Last Updated: January 11 2021
Through integration between simPRO and Outlook, you can easily create new leads / customers in simPRO and add emails as notes to customers cards, leads , quotes and jobs without leaving Outlook.
Once the integration is installed, simPRO automatically recognises the email sender in Outlook if their information is saved in simPRO. Learn more in How to Set Up and Use the Outlook Calendar Integration.
The simPRO add-in is only compatible with account types Office 365, Outlook.com and Exchange. The add-in does not currently support integrations with shared inboxes, please consult your internal IT support for more information.
In order to view content or perform actions referred to in this article you need to have the appropriate permissions enabled in your security group. Go to System > Setup > Security Groups and access your security group to update your permissions. The relevant security group tab and specific permissions for this article can be found here:
Before performing the steps detailed below, ensure that this part of your build is set up correctly. The relevant steps to set up the features and workflows detailed on this article can be found here:
The simPRO add-in works both with the web and desktop versions. For the purpose of this guide, all screenshots reference the desktop version of Outlook.
To install the simPRO Outlook Integration add-in for the web version:
- Log in to your Office account.
- Go to the Office store.
- Search for the 'Mail Integration for simPRO' add-in.
- Click Add.
To install the add-in for the desktop version:
- Open Outlook on your desktop.
- Click Store in the Home ribbon at the top of the page.
- In the All category, search for 'Mail Integration for simPRO' and click the result.
- Click the toggle switch. It changes from Off to On.
To log in to simPRO through your Outlook account for the first time:
- Log in to Outlook and open an email as normal.
- If you are using Outlook in your browser, click the simPRO icon next to the Reply icon in the email. If you are using the desktop version of Outlook, click the simPRO icon next to the Store icon in the Home ribbon.
- In the frame that opens on the right of the screen, click Continue.
- Enter your Company Identifier (the first part of the URL address you use to access simPRO).
- Enter your simPRO Username and Password.
- Click Login.
If you view an email from someone whose email address is not saved in simPRO, you can create a new lead / customer or new contact through the simPRO Outlook Integration add-in.
If you are using a multi-company build, the lead, customer or contact is created in whichever company you are logged into at the time.
Create a new lead or customer through Outlook
If simPRO does not recognise a sender's email address, you have the option to create a new lead / customer using their email address. Some fields automatically populate using email content.
To create a new lead or customer through Outlook:
- In the simPRO frame on the side of the screen, click Create New Lead / Create New Customer .
- Select if the customer is a company or an individual.
- Enter and adjust details as required.
- The email address cannot be changed.
- Click Send.
The new lead-type customer / customer is created in simPRO, as well as a new lead , and the email saves as a note on that lead / customer .
Create a new contact through Outlook
If you receive an email in Outlook from a customer that already exists in simPRO, you can create a new contact for the customer using the sender's email address. Some fields automatically populate using email content.
To create a new contact for a customer through Outlook:
- In the simPRO frame on the side of the screen, click Create New Contact.
- If the email address is not associated with a specific customer, search and select the customer to add this contact to.
- Enter and adjust contact details as required.
- Click Send.
The new contact is added to the selected customer's card file in simPRO, and the email saves as a note on that customer.
To attach an email as a note:
- At the top of the email body, click simPRO Outlook Integration > Attach Note.
- Select whether to attach the note to a Customer, Lead , Quote or Job.
- Search and select the customer, lead , quote or job.
- Click Attach.
That email then appears as a plain text note in simPRO.
Email attachments do not save when you save a note. You need to manually drag and drop them into the simPRO project's Attachments tab as an attachment if required. Learn more in How to Use Attachments.
To view attached email notes:
- In simPRO, open the customer, lead , quote or job the email was attached to.
- Go to:
- Details > Summary > Activity > Timeline in a quote or job.
- The Notes tab in a lead or customer.
- Notes appear in chronological order. Click a note to view more details or to edit it.
Once one email in a chain has been attached to a customer, lead, quote or job, simPRO assumes all emails in that chain are related to that customer, lead, quote or job, and the Attach Note button changes to Attach Note to (name of customer / lead / quote / job). This can be changed by clicking Change Note Link.
If simPRO automatically matches a received email with an existing customer or contact, and you want to add the email as a note to a different customer in your simPRO database, click Change Customer and search for the customer.
To log out of simPRO in Outlook, click Logout in the bottom corner of the frame. If you have simPRO open in a browser tab, you are logged out there as well.