Through the customerThe entity (individual or company) that receives the invoice for work provided. A customer may be associated with multiple sites, for example, if they are a franchise. portal, you can provide your customers with the ability to:
- View their own quotes, jobs and invoices
- Pay invoices online
- View and edit their contact and site details
- Request quotes and book jobs online
- View detailed asset information and reports, and search and add assets requiring maintenance to quotes and jobs.
You can set up your customer portal to give customers access to the information and functionality that best suits your business. For example, you may want customers to only be able to view and pay their invoices online, or you may want them to have full access to view their quotes, jobs and invoices and be able to book a quote or job quickly and easily from within their own portal.
When customers request a quote or book a job through their portal, the new quote or job appears in your system and you receive an alert. This saves you time manually obtaining quote and job information from customers and creating quotes and jobs in simPRO, and gives the customer greater control.
Each customer has their own unique login details. Once a customer has access to their portal, they can also create portal login details for as many of their own employees as they require.
Before using the customer portal we recommend ensuring your customer, quote, job, invoice and other information in simPRO is up to date, so the information customers see is correct.
You can set up the portal to enable customers to use the following areas of simPRO:
View and print actioned quotes; view, print, accept and reject outstanding quotes; and request a new quote. Depending on your settings, you can also select from available assets and pre-builds.
View and print jobs of all stages, and book a new job. Depending on your settings, you can also select from available assets and pre-builds, depending on your settings.
View, print and pay unpaid invoices; view a page summary of all outstanding invoices; view and print paid invoices; view, print and save a PDF statement of invoices and payments applied, filtered by date range.
View a basic summary of tasks the customer is associated with.
View and edit sites associated with their customer card file; add new sites; add new site contacts.
View assets by site or asset type; view assets' service and transfer history, and search and add assets to be serviced when requesting a quote or booking a job.
View asset reports for planned preventative maintenance, defects, and test history, by site and year.
View and edit their own company details; view, edit and add company contacts and give portal login credentials to additional people; view assigned labour rates and response times; and view contracts and prepaid time purchased .
Use the settings under System > Setup > Defaults > Customer Portal to select the menus, options and information you want displayed in your portal, and when notifications are sent.
The settings you select apply to all customers' portals, not to an individual customer.
To adjust the customer portal's general settings, go to System > Setup > Defaults > Customer Portal > General.
When you have finished making changes, click Save.
The amount and type of information a customer sees when viewing quotes, jobs and invoices in the portal depends on the forms you select here, in the same way as when you select a form to email or print a quote, job or invoice in simPRO. You can adjust the way these forms look through the quote, job and invoice setup.
Login Page Theme Colour
Select a theme colour for the customer login page. You may wish to use a colour that matches your business' branding.
Booking Email Settings
Choose whether you would like an email to be sent whenever a customer makes a booking through the portal, and who you would like the email sent to.
Under Add Assets when Booking a Job / Quote , select On to enable customers to search and add assets to be serviced when they book a job or request a quote.
Select the pre-build groups you want a customer to be able to select from when making a booking through the portal. This helps customers easily add pre-priced items to the quotes or jobs they create through the portal.
If you are using a multi-company build , you are able to select these for each company.
If you have selected to automatically assign customer assets to jobs in System > Setup > Defaults > System > Customer Assets > Customer Assets Auto Assign to Jobs, this setting only applies to jobs created in simPRO. Learn more in System Defaults. Customers booking jobs in the customer portal need to manually add assets requiring maintenance; if no assets are added in the portal, there are no assets added to the job when it is pushed to simPRO.
If you have activated simPRO Payments and want your customers to be able to pay invoices through the customer portal, you need to first enable this option. See Use simPRO Payments in the customer portal.
To adjust the settings and template of the email used to send customers their portal login details, go to System > Setup > Defaults > Customer Portal > Email.
Select Use Default Settings to use the system-wide email settings selected in System > Setup > Forms Setup > General > Email Setup, or adjust the read receipt and CC details as required.
Adjust the default Email Template text as required, and click options in from the Insert Field list to personalise your message as required. Ensure the [customerPortalURL], [customerUsername] and [customerPassword] fields remain in the template, to provide customers with the information they need to log in to the portal.
It is recommended that you include a link to our Customer Guide in the email to provide your customers with instructions on how to use the customer portal. If necessary, you may wish to copy and paste only the sections that are applicable to your customer portal.
To have your company logo appear on the login page of the customer portal:
- Go to System > Setup > Company.
- Underneath Company Logo, click Choose File / Browse.
- Find the image file saved on your computer and open it.
- The file name appears next to the Choose File / Browse button.
- Click Save.
Now when you go to log in to the customer portal, your company logo is visible.
Before giving customers access to your customer portal, or after making changes to the portal settings, it is recommended to log in to your customer portal to test how it looks and works.
To test your customer portal:
- Create a customer card file for testing purposes, or open an existing customer's card file.
- Go to Profile > Settings.
- Enter or check the Username and Password. Make a note of these.
- Click Finish.
- Click the logout icon in the top right of the screen to log out of simPRO.
- In the browser's address bar at the top of the screen, in your build address, such as yourbuild.simprosuite.com, change /staff to /customer and delete any text to the right. See screenshot above for reference.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
- This is the screen your customers see when they log in. Enter the Username and Password you saved on the customer card file in step 3.
- Click Login.
This is your customer portal. While it looks very similar to your regular simPRO build, notice several key differences, such as the Request a Quote and Book a Job buttons in the top right corner if selected in Enabled Pages.
Test various functions of the portal to see how your customers view information and the features available to them. You may also wish to work through the Customer Guide to understand the steps a customer follows to use the system.
To return to your simPRO build, log out of the build and change the URL in your browser's address bar from /customer to /staff again.
For each customer you want to access the customer portal, you need to set up a portal login and password. After setting these up, you can send them straight to the customer.
To set up customer portal login details for a customer:
- Open the customer's card file, or create a new customer.
- Go to Profile > Settings.
- Under Customer Profile, enter a Username and Password for the customer.
- Click Save and Finish.
Multiple customer portal users cannot use the same login credentials to log in to the account at the same time.
If you wish to create more than one login account for a customer - for example, if the customer wants two of its employees to be able to log into the portal separately - you can set this up for them using the steps below, or the customer themselves can do this after logging into the customer portal.
To create an additional portal login account for a customer:
- In simPRO, click the logout icon in the top right of the screen to log out of simPRO.
- In the browser's address bar at the top of the screen, in your build address, such as yourbuild.simprosuite.com, change /staff to /customer and delete any text to the right, then press Enter. See screenshot above for reference.
- Log into the customer portal using the customer's Username and Password, as set up earlier.
- Hover over the customer's name in the top right corner and click Preferences.
- Under Profile, click the Contacts sub-tab.
- Open the contact you wish to create login details for, or create a new contact.
- Under Login Active, select Yes.
- Enter a new Username and Password for the employee.
- Under Page Access, select the pages you wish the employee to have access to through the portal.
- Under Site Access, click an available site to move it to the Assigned Sites field. The employee can access information for Assigned Sites only.
- Click Save below the contact.
- Click Save and Finish.
- Click the logout icon in the top right of the screen to log out of the customer portal.
- Change your build address from /customer to /staff, press Enter and log in to your simPRO account as usual.
If a customer has already logged into their portal for the first time, it is recommended they create their own additional login details, as otherwise you need to change their password to log into their portal yourself.
To send a customer their login details:
- Open the customer card file.
- Ensure their login details have been set up, and that an email address is saved in Details > Email.
- Click Save and Finish.
- Click Send Login Details.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Click OK to close the confirmation.
The customer receive an email providing them with everything they need to log in, including a link, username and a new password, as defined in the email template. Learn more in Adjust email settings.
If you resend login details to a customer, their password is reset. The new password is included in the email they received, unless this information is removed from the email template.
If you would like to know how frequently - or infrequently - a customer is using the customer portal, you can view their usage log. This provides details of login times, along with times certain activities were performed, such as booking a quote through the portal.
To view a log of a customer's portal use:
- Go to People > Customers.
- On the customer, click Options > View > Customer Portal.
- When you have finished viewing the log, click the icon in the top right corner to close the window.
If you have enabled the feature, customers can request quotes and book jobs through the customer portal. When they do this, you receive an alert in simPRO, and an email if enabled under the customer portal email settings.
Alerts can be found under the red Alerts icon at the top of the screen.
To view quotes and jobs created in the customer portal:
- When you receive an alert, click the red alerts icon at the top right of the screen.
- View new quotes or jobs under the Quotes and Jobs headings.
- If a quote or job was created in the customer portal, its Alert column states 'New quote / job created through customer portal'.
- Click the quote or job number to open it, view details, and complete or schedule it as usual.
Need additional help?
Try Walk Me Through, our step-by-step guidance tool, to set up the customer portal and send login details.
In simPRO, go to Help > Walk Me Through and search Customer Portal (ID: 86440) or Login Details (ID: 95321).