Last Updated: December 04 2023
In Simpro Premium, you can manually add customer contracts to the system, or save time and reduce data entry errors by importing a customer list to create multiple customer contracts at once. Learn more in Create customer contracts.
You may wish to test the import process with one or two customer contracts before importing an entire list.
Once you have imported custom contracts, if you use Maintenance Planner you can import service levels to the contracts. This allows you to apply special pricing for asset maintenance performed on the contract. Learn more in How to Import Contract Service Levels and Rates.
If you need to export contracts, you can use the Customer Contracts Report.
In order to view content or perform actions referred to in this article you need to have the appropriate permissions enabled in your security group. Go to System > Setup > Security Groups and access your security group to update your permissions. The relevant security group tab and specific permissions for this article can be found here:
To prepare to import customer contracts into Simpro Premium:
- Download and add data to Simpro Premium's Customer Contract Import Template.
- Alternatively, you can create your own import list and leave out any fields that do not apply to your customer contracts.
- The customer contracts import template must contain a Customer Name or Customer ID and a Contract Name or Contract ID.
- Save your file in your system as a compatible file type: CSV, TXT, or ZIP. Consult your spreadsheet software for file saving instructions if required.
- Separate your data using the same or similar headings as the Customer Contract Import Template.
- Ensure information is accurate, up-to-date and spelled correctly.
- Remove any special characters (such as ? # $ % @ !) as these may not import correctly.
- Save your file again.
Simpro Premium can recognise and import all headings and information listed in the Customer Contract Import Template.
After preparing your customer contract list, work through the following steps to import your list into Simpro Premium.
To adjust customer contract import settings, go to Utilities > Import > Customers > Customer Contracts.
The options available include:
|First Record Is
|Select Header Record if your list's first row contains column titles, or select Data Record if your list's first row contains specific data.
Importing contract are matched by Contract ID and Name. If the Contract ID or Name in the import file match a Contract ID or Name in Simpro Premium, the import option determines if these are updated in Simpro Premium or created as a new contract.
Update Only to update existing contracts and not create new contracts.
Update and Create to update existing contracts and create new contracts.
Create Only to create new contracts if an existing contract is not found, and not update any existing contracts.
Always Create New to always create new contracts, even if a matching contract exists.
To select an import file:
- Go to Utilities > Import > Customers > Customer Contracts.
- Adjust customer contract import settings, then click Choose File / Browse.
- Locate your customer contract import file and click Open.
- Click Next.
After selecting a customer contract import file, manually match or review your list columns with the fields available in Simpro Premium. You may have both Simpro Premium and your list open at the same time.
To match import columns:
- Select your import file as above.
- Use the drop-down lists to match your import file columns with the fields available in Simpro Premium.
- To leave a field out of the import, select Ignore.
- Click Import Customer Contracts.
If you have a large list of customer contracts, you can navigate away and work in other areas of Simpro Premium, then return to the import page to check on your import. You can only perform one import at a time.
After uploading an import file, the Customer Contract Import Complete page displays a breakdown of your import, including Customer Contracts Added / Updated / Ignored.
Click Customer contracts imported successfully to download a CSV file of imported customer contracts for your records, with each customer contract line containing their new Simpro Premium-assigned Customer Contract ID.
Click Continue to perform another import.
After a successful import, it is recommended you manually check customer card files to ensure data has imported correctly. To do this, go to People > Customers, open the customer card, go to Rates > Contracts, and check the Contract Details for errors. Manually amend if required.
If your import file does not contain a Customer Name or Customer ID and a Contract Name or Contract ID, the import fails and you receive an error message.
To amend the error, click OK, then enter details in the required fields in your import list and restart the import process.
If your file contains other errors, an error message displays on the Import Customer Contract Summary page, and the table displays the number of errors found.
Click the blue link to download a CSV file of import errors. The Error Text column explains why entries failed. Amend your Customer Contract import list accordingly and restart the import process.