Payment methods are the various ways in which your customers pay for the goods and services you provide, such as credit and debit cards, cash, direct deposits, cheques, and even vouchers. Learn more in Use simPRO Payments. A number of default payment methods are preset in simPRO and can be edited or deleted as required.
When you define an Account No. for a payment method, this Account No. fills in automatically each time a payment of this type is processed and links to your accounting package. The default deposit account number is set up in System > Setup > Defaults > Financial.
You may wish to define a separate cheque clearing account, or create a payment method to handle industry specific vouchers or finance payments.
To create a payment method:
- Go to System > Setup > System Setup > Accounts > Payment Methods.
- Click Create Payment Method.
- Enter the payment method Name.
- Select the payment method Type.
- Enter the applicable Posting Account No.
- Enter a finance charge if applicable.
- Select Overwrite Bank Account to Overwrite default bank details for customers who are required to send payment to a different bank account than the one defined in your company details, for example, if you use invoice factoring or debtor financing.
- To use a specific reference number on invoices, select On under Enable Customer Reference. You then need to enter reference numbers in the customer card files.
- Enter the Bank, Account Name, Account Number, and other required details.
- Click Create.
For each payment method you set up in simPRO, you can set a different finance charge as a percentage of the transaction. You can use this to pass onto your customers any additional charges associated with certain payment methods, such as bank fees for cheque deposits or credit card merchant fees.
As this appears on payment forms, you can go to System > Setup > Defaults > Financial > Invoicing > Finance Charge Label to give this charge a different name, such as 'convenience fee' or 'credit card surcharge'.
You may need customers to send payment to a different bank account than the one set up in your company details, for example, if you use invoice factoring to pay your invoices, and you want your customers to pay directly to the invoice factoring company. Learn more in Company Information.
To enable this, you can create a payment method with different bank account details, and then assign it to the relevant customer card file/s as the default payment method.
To create a payment method with different bank details:
- Create a payment method as normal.
- Select Overwrite Bank Account.
- Enter the relevant bank account details.
- Click Create.
- Access the relevant customer card file/s. Learn more in Adjust customer settings.
- Go to Profile > Settings > Banking, and select the newly-created Payment Method from the drop-down list.
- If you have enabled customer reference numbers for this payment method, enter the Customer Ref. No.
- Click Save and Finish.
To make sure that the customer reference number appears on invoices, adjust the columns of the How to Pay section in your invoice forms setup. Learn more in Set up display options for payment options.
When you create invoices for customers with this payment method selected, the bank account details appear in the How to Pay section of the invoice.
To allow technicians to process payments with Connect, you need to enable the applicable payment methods.
To enable payment methods in Connect:
- Go to System > System Setup > Mobile > General > Billing Settings.
- Select Enable to allow mobile billing.
- Under Payment Methods, select Enable for Connect for each payment method you wish to be available to select to process payments in Connect.
- Click Save to update your changes.
Your technicians can now process payments in Connect’s billing workflow.
When selecting a simPRO Payments method in Connect, users see the Card Type rather than the associated payment method, while reports and invoices show the full payment method, not just the card type.
If you have activated simPRO Payments, your available credit and debit card types are listed below your payment methods. View your country's setup instructions to associate simPRO Payments credit and debit card types with your existing payment methods.
Learn more in Use simPRO Payments.
Need additional help?
Try Walk Me Through, our step-by-step guidance tool, to create payment methods.
In simPRO, go to Help > Walk Me Through and search Payment Methods (ID: 84644).