Last Updated: March 23 2023
How to Import Suppliers
In simPRO, you can manually add suppliers to the system through People > Create New Supplier, or save time and reduce data entry errors by importing a supplier list.
Learn more in How to Create Suppliers.
If you have not yet gone live with simPRO, you can import suppliers from your accounting package. See Integrate Your Accounting Package with simPRO to learn how.
US only: If you use simPRO in the United States, the term 'vendor' is used instead of 'supplier'.
In order to view content or perform actions referred to in this article you need to have the appropriate permissions enabled in your security group. Go to System > Setup > Security Groups and access your security group to update your permissions. The relevant security group tab and specific permissions for this article can be found here:
To prepare to import suppliers into simPRO:
- Download and enter data into the Supplier Import Template for:
- Alternatively, create your own import list and leave out any fields that do not apply to your suppliers, and add fields to import any custom fields defined in System Setup.
- To update the Payment Terms (Type) field using the supplier import, enter either 'invoice' or 'month' in the column. The Payment Terms (Days) field is a value for the number of days, or blank for cash on demand (COD).
- To import a file successfully your import file must contain the card name files. This includes Company Name, Customer First and Last Name, Site Names, Supplier Names, Employee Name, Contractor Name and Contact First and Last Name. When Mandatory Fields are On, additional fields are made mandatory.
- If Mandatory Fields are toggled on under System > Setup > Defaults and your import file does not contain the relevant fields, your import will be successful. When a card file that lacks the relevant mandatory fields is accessed it cannot be saved without completing these fields. For a complete list, see Mandatory fields.
- Save your file in your system as a compatible file type: CSV, TXT, or ZIP. Consult your spreadsheet software for file saving instructions if required.
- Separate your data using the same or similar headings as the Supplier Import Template.
- Ensure information is accurate, up-to-date and spelled correctly.
- Remove any special characters (such as ? # $ % @ !) as these may not import correctly.
- Save your file again.
You may wish to test the import process with one or two suppliers before importing an entire list.
To import suppliers:
- Go to Utilities > Import > Suppliers > Suppliers.
- Under First Record Is, select Header Record if the first row in your list is column headings, or select Data Record if the first row in your list is data.
- Under Custom List Value Not Found:
- Select Create New List Option to add new options to the drop-down lists in simPRO if you have data in your file that is not in the drop-down lists in simPRO.
- Select Reject and Warn to exclude any data that is not in the drop-down lists in simPRO.
- Under Import Option, select what simPRO does if you have duplicate suppliers:
- Select Update Only to only update existing suppliers and not create new suppliers.
- Select Update and Create to update existing suppliers with a matching name or supplier ID, and create new suppliers that do not exist in the system.
- Select Create Only to ignore any suppliers with existing matches and only create new suppliers.
- Select Always Create New to create all suppliers in your list as new suppliers even if they match an existing supplier.
- Click Browse / Choose File and locate your supplier list.
- When your list has uploaded successfully, click Next.
- The each column of your uploaded file is listed under First Row. If the column headings are an exact match, the corresponding simPRO field is selected automatically.
- You can manually select fields that have not matched automatically.
- Select Ignore to exclude the column from the import.
- Click Import Suppliers.
If you are importing a large number of suppliers, you can navigate away from the import page and return later.
After uploading an import file, the Supplier Import Complete page displays a breakdown of your import, including Suppliers Added / Updated / Ignored / Errors In File and New Custom Field List Items Made.
If the import was not successful, an error message appears.
If the import was successful, click supplier imported successfully to download a CSV file of imported supplier for your records.
After a successful import, it is recommended you manually check imported supplier to ensure data has imported correctly. To do this, go to People > Suppliers, click an imported supplier, and check Profile > Details for errors. Manually amend if required.
For additional training, complete an interactive material in the simPRO's Learning Toolbox. Learn more in simPRO's Learning Toolbox.